Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Tofu Ceviche!

Yum! This recipe is super easy and it tastes good...it tastes like what I think I remember the real thing tasting like. :) I found the recipe for this online, but I changed a few things to make it yummier. :)

20080515_0011

Ingredients:
One package extra firm tofu, chopped and marinated in my crazy homemade Worcestershire sauce.
Tomatoes, cut into little cubes
Cilantro, chopped
Red onion
Salt
A ton of lemon juice (I use meyer lemons from my backyard)
[You could also toss some chopped up green chile if you're into that.]
[I've also made it with chopped up radishes.]

My crazy homemade Worcestershire sauce Ingredients*
1/2 C apple cider vinegar (any kind of vinegar will do though)
1/4 C water
1 C orange juice
4 TBSP soy sauce
2 TBSP brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp mustard
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp pepper

*The original tofu ceviche recipe said to marinate all the tofu with 2 tablespoons of vegan Worcestershire sauce.... How are you supposed to marinate all that tofu with 2 tablespoons??? you need at least a cup of sauce to cover it completely and that's a lot of Worcestershire sauce ...which of course I don't have, so I googled a recipe for the Worcestershire sauce and made some modifications to it ...because I didn't have the proper ingredients for it of course! I finally bought the proper ingredients for the sauce and I decided my version was much better, so maybe this doesn't taste like WS, but it tastes good on the tofu, so there.

Here's what you do:
1. Take a package of extra firm tofu and squeeze as much water as you can out of it then slice into small cubes. I like to wrap the tofu in a couple of paper towels and then wrap it with a cloth towel and pile plates on top of that.
2. While tofu is being pressed, mix all of the stuff for the crazy homemade Worcestershire sauce together in a small pan and stir thoroughly. One it starts to boil you reduce the heat and simmer for a minute and then take it off the heat.
3. Toss the sauce on top of the tofu and let it marinate in the fridge for half an hour or so.
4. Afterwards, spread the tofu out onto a baking sheet covered in a nonstick mat type thing or parchment paper. Don't get a lot of sauce on there because it will just burn. Put in 350 degree oven for half an hour, mixing halfway through the cooking.
5. Meanwhile slice up all your veggies and squeeze a lot of lemon juice.
6. When tofu is done toss it in your bowl of veggies and lemon juice and salt and put it in the fridge for a few hours.
7. Eat with some tostadas.


No comments: